RETURN to WORLD BOOK ONLINE | Training Site Home
Trek's Travels offers narrated stories that teach critical early childhood themes, including numbers, shapes, colors, opposites, and more.
The lesson-enriched stories in Trek's Travels feature narration by human voices and word-by-word highlighting, making the content accessible to emergent readers of all abilities. Resources from Trek's Travels can be easily integrated into the classroom curriculum, from group instruction to independent and small group study.
1. Trek's Travels engages children with fun, simple navigation. The story selector allows for students to easily choose from any of the 12 Trek's Travels stories. Early childhood themes are represented by fun titles—for example, "Trek Learns About Colors" and "Trek Learns About Numbers." Click or tap on any of these to pull up its cover and specific resources.
2. Click or tap the cover image or "Open" button to open the story reader.
3. All Trek's Travels stories include Spanish versions. Click or tap the "En Español" link to open the Spanish story reader.
4. More Fun is found at the bottom of every Trek's Travels and Welcome to Reading story selector. It offers additional material and media that relates to each story and aids in building background knowledge to support early development. See images are only available through More Fun.
Welcome to Reading provides leveled reading practice to develop and strengthen phonics, vocabulary, phonemic awareness, and comprehension skills. This environment incorporates The Lexile Framework® for Reading to make sure every child meets with success.
5. Welcome to Reading is centered around forty-eight stories in four reading levels. Click or tap on the preferred reading level to load that level's readers.
6. Click or tap the title in the selector to load that title's cover and related material.
7. Click or tap the cover image or "Open" to open the story reader.
8. More Fun offers students additional related material. This material includes images, videos, games, and books. Click or tap on the thumbnail to open its window.
Story Readers. When a story has been opened in Trek's Travels or Welcome to Reading, it will appear in the reader window. Each story features narration by a human voice. A wide selection of voices exposes children to expressive narrators of different genders and backgrounds. Read-aloud audio is accompanied by word-by-word highlighting to foster development of literacy skills. The story reader features two modes to support a variety of classroom, library, and home uses, from large-group instruction to independent and small-group study.
9. Voiceover mode. By pressing the play button, the story will be read aloud with word-by-word text highlighting. This mode is perfect for pre-readers and students who wish to have the stories read to them.
Manual mode. Click or tap on the play/stop toggle button to enter manual mode. Use the next and previous arrows to manually advance the story or visit earlier pages. You can also simply swipe from right to left to turn the pages. In this mode, story narration and word-by-word highlighting will be inactive, enabling students to practice reading the story at their own pace.
These two modes allow educators to introduce the engaging content to emergent readers of varying abilities and leverage resources for group instruction as well as independent and small group study.
10. Click or tap the arrows to advance or go back a page.
11. Click or tap the [X] to close out of the reader.
The Read component of Early World of Learning will stimulate a lifelong love of reading and knowledge.